Upgrades and Retrofit Sputtering Sources
Retrofit for Inline Ulvac Sputtering System
- Upgrades system performance in measurable terms
- Replaces obsolete source no longer supported by
original manufacturer & provides superior performance
- Increases reliability, Lowers cost of ownership
- Includes the features & benefits of SunSource™ &
GEN II™ Sputtering Sources
|How Does Materials Science, Inc. Define a "Retrofit"? |
SunSource™ sputtering sources provide measurable benefits like improved target utilization, argon gas injection through the cathode body, stable operation through out the useful target lifetime during pulsed reactive sputter deposition at 10-4 torr and much lower cost of ownership. The features and benefits described for our standard line of SunSource™ and SunSource GEN II sources are incorporated into the retrofit/upgrade designs we provide. Essentially, we take the basic sputtering module and configure it so that it fits within your existing system Usually (not always) we can do so.
The ability to implement these features into a source that fits within the physical constraints of an existing system is how we define a retrofit sputtering source. We are not interested in offering a source that performs and lasts just as poorly (but equally as well!) as the one it is replacing at a cheap price. If you consume one target every 5 years, you will probably run from the room clutching at your throat about how expensive the source is, especially if your purchased your used system on e-Bay for $5. Those interested in real productivity or trying to implement very difficult processes like an optical coating with less than 1% transmission adsorption will appreciate the performance of our upgrade retrofits and how reasonably they are priced for performance and reliability. Good value for money provides a fast payback and low cost of ownership.
Maybe you just want to be able to "pour the coals" (aka shorten deposition time) to a source to shorten run times without overheating the source, target material or damaging the substrate or the system the source is installed in. Are you tired of constant leaks in the water lines, arcing and vastly different rates of target erosion top to bottom of a linear source or expensive repairs and spare parts? We can help.
Materials Science, Inc originally began offering & advertising "retrofit" sputtering sources in early 1994. Since then, this term has been adopted (co-opted?) by many of our competitors. At the time, major manufacturers like MRC, Sloan, Perkin-Elmer & Vac-Tec Systems had either completely exited the marketplace as sputtering system suppliers or were about to and were simply not-available to support their customer base with new and upgraded sputtering sources that solved real problems. Our main advantage at the time was greatly improved target utilization, but since then, we have continued to innovate and improve our SunSource™ sputtering sources. The guy with a "cheater bar" in his pocket to give extra leverage to a wrench to ensure all the fasteners are properly tightened and water lines don't leak is just as much in our mind as the scientist trying to figure out how many angels can dance on the head of a pin (has anyone finally figured this out?). SunSource™ sputtering sources have to satisfy both of them. Good design results from paying attention and being responsive.
Examples of Problems Solved and Productivity Gains
Leybold PK 750
- Improved target utilization by nearly 20 wt%
- Virtually eliminated re-deposition of backscattered
material in center of target
- Bonded targets no longer have to be bonded to the
cathode body - a much less expensive flat target
backing plate is used instead
- Disassembly of cathode assembly is no longer
required when exchanging targets
| "Homegrown" |
SunSource GEN II™ Upgrade Replacement:
- Fixed completely inadequate water flow through cathode body that overheated magnets and induced "wiggle" down length of source that created non-uniform films
- Much higher power levels can be applied and rates are higher
- Power distribution is now symmetrical and uniform across target surface
- Gas distribution is now uniform across target surface. Solved argon gas depletion problem on target surface that caused significantly non-uniform distribution
- Electrons are not preferentially "robbed" from target surface toward ground planes, creating higher and lower areas of sputtering from target surface due to plasma disturbance, thus non-uniform films
- Targets thicker than 0.125" can now be sputtered. Useful target life does not pre-dominate periodic maintenance requirement, as before.
- Effective target wt% target utilization is nominally 25% higher
Kurt Lesker Torus™ Series
Research & Development HV & UHV Sources:
- Eliminated immediate galvanic corrosion of aluminum parts
exposed to cooling water
- Magnet module is no longer a "consumable" item
Photo shows original KJL sputtering
source after several hours of operation
Torus-10™ Sources: Greatly improved distribution uniformity & higher rates by replacing with SunSource™
6" Round Sputtering Source. See customer supplied data.
|We have also provided retrofit sources for old Perkin-Elmer, Sloan Orbitorr™, Vac-Tec Systems Fleximag™, Ulvac and others. Contact us to discuss your needs and how we can help.|